Arts on the Green, the City of Gaithersburg’s home for the performing and visual arts, which includes the Kentland’s Mansion and Arts Barn, is now soliciting production proposals for the theater season beginning July 2023 through June 2024. Located in the Kentlands, the Arts Barn (theater venue) is housed in a Victorian-era renovated stable with a charming 99-seat theater.
Productions accepted for the Theater Series will be part of the Theater Arts Partnership Program (TAPP). A production partnership is created between the production company and the Arts Barn/City of Gaithersburg. The City provides use of the Arts Barn and its many resources (fully equipped theater, rehearsal space, box office, advertising and marketing support) without the high rental rates of other facilities in the area. The production company is responsible for the direct production costs of the show (royalties, set and construction, props, costumes, etc.). The box office proceeds are then split between the production company and the City. This unique program provides TAPP partners affordable, quality production space while helping the City fulfill its commitment to a robust arts and cultural environment for its residents.
The theater season is July 2023 through June 2024. The FY24 season marks the 21st Anniversary of the Opening of the Arts Barn! We are seeking strong proposals of musicals, plays, youth theater, and theater for young audiences. Theater productions generally run either two or three weeks preceded by a week of tech time in the theater. Rehearsals may take place in either the Gallery or Theatre, 3-4 times a week, for 8-10 weeks prior to tech week.
Groups may apply for up to four production slots and may offer up to six shows to be considered. The Request For Proposals process is conducted annually. Selections are recommended by a peer review committee based on the strength of the proposal and the credentials of the theater group. The City of Gaithersburg supports principles of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility. No group, regardless of past TAPP participation, is assured of inclusion in the theater series. The Arts Barn reserves the right to decline any or all proposals submitted.
Factors to consider before making your proposal:
- With regards to a 2-week slot (not a youth theater production), the Arts Barn is open to having two performances on one day (i.e., Saturdat at 2 & 8 p.m.). Companies selecting a 2-week slot are also encouraged to consider adding a Thursday evening performance in lieu of a brush-up rehearsal. We will consider shortening a 3-week slot to a 2-week slot.
- Theatre for Young Audiences (adult performers) and Youth Theatre (youth performers) productions typically have performances on Saturdays at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and Sundays at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. We will also consider adding a 7:30 pm performance on Friday evenings if selecting a 2-week production slot.
- The preference is for large, family-oriented musicals in July and August. Additionally, the Arts Barn will open the academic year (September) and close the season (June) with strong productions such as familiar musicals, mysteries, comedies, and children’s shows.
- The Arts Barn seeks to develop a season that includes all genres (comedy, drama, mystery, musical) and has something for everyone.
- Please think thematically. For example:
- Strong choices for the November/December slot would include a holiday theme that the whole family can enjoy. (Note: Production may open on the Friday after Thanksgiving, or as early as November 17. An early load-in schedule is available.)
- Romance-themed productions, or shows highlighting Black History Month, are sought for February.
- The Arts Barn seeks quality theater and puppetry geared for children and youth.
- The Arts Barn will consider remounts or encore performances of successful shows that your group recently produced.
- The Arts Barn seeks a balance of the familiar along with the new and edgy.
- The Arts Barn welcomes proposals that include marketing ideas that will bring in new and diverse audiences.
- If selected, theater companies are required to follow all COVID-19 safety protocols as set by the Arts Barn and local and state regulations.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are made via an online form. Supplemental material (scripts, librettos, or musical CDs) are welcome, but not required unless requested by the Theatre Program Coordinator. If sending supplemental materials digitally, please direct them to the Theatre Program Coordinator, Laura W. Andruski at firstname.lastname@example.org. For snail mail:
Laura W. Andruski
City of Gaithersburg – Arts Barn
311 Kent Square Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
All online applications must be complete by December 16, 2022, at 11:30 p.m.
- If requested, all supplemental material must be delivered to the Arts Barn by December 30 by 5:00 p.m.
- Decisions will be made by March 1, 2023.
- To complete an application, use this online form.
For any additional questions, please contact Laura W. Andruski, Theatre Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or call 301-258-6394.